Sunday, February 18, 2018

Cancun, Mexico - Yucatan Peninsula - Beyond the Zona Hotelera

We decided to celebrate my birthday this year in Cancun, Mexico. I tried hard to get an airbnb but none of the ones available were suitable for us. Finally we settled on a resort hotel (not my favorite but still). We got a great flight deal and so we just bought tickets at the spur of the moment. (Tip: Try to find good deals on SouthWest airlines. You can take 2 checked in bags, plus no change fee!!!)


Cancun-Marriott








Cancun is in the Yucatan Peninsula (map) of Mexico and is surrounded by the beautiful Caribbean sea. Tropical weather year round, azure waters, mouthwatering seafood, fresh water Cenotes, heartwarming people... that describe this place.



Caribbean view
I never get all inclusive packages for hotels. I think it does not let you experience the true culture, the people and especially the food in that place. Anyone who knows me can tell I love eating. I love all kinds of food and will experiment - unless you ask me to eat alligator meat. I cannot fathom the idea of eating alligator. Nope!! Not happening!!
Okay before I digress, we stayed at JW Marriott in Zona Hotelera.









View from hotel room


It was a very good hotel with exceptional views of the Caribbean ocean. As soon as we entered the lobby, the wondrous blue waves met my eyes and immediately I was in love. It is something about the blue ocean that drives me toward it and exhilarates me. 















Fish tacos in Mercado 28

However, we were extremely hungry, so as soon as we checked in, we dropped our bags and headed to the local market in town called Mercado 28 (map). It is about 20 min drive from the hotel zone depending on where you are staying. Carry cash because most of these places accept cash. (Tip: check with your hotels if they do currency exchange. That way you don't have to carry a lot of cash.)


It is the liveliest place you will ever go to in Cancun - even better than the night clubs. There are innumerable stalls with vendors selling their merchandize. There is a lot to buy here from hand crafted bags, hats, bikinis, cover-ups to silver jewelry, decorated skulls, and of course... FOOD!!



Mercado 28
People will surround you with their menus offering you all kinds of deals such as gratis (free) margarita. From everywhere you will hear them calling out, they have the best tequila, tacos and what not. The hustle and bustle of the market, however, does not interfere with laid back approach inside the restaurants. You are sitting in the liveliest place in the entire market with little kids trying to sell small items such as bracelets, rings, pins, etc.


There are local singers and musicians who play music for you. And if you look at them, then they will come to your table and play some song and music for you. They are there to make a living, so don't shy from giving them some pesos. Even a small amount is very well appreciated.



Shopping at Mercado 28
However, when you shop there, they know you are tourists, so they will mark up the prices. Try to check in multiple stores. You can indulge in some friendly banter over the prices, but do not go overboard.
I bought a lot of memorabilia from there especially the hand designed purses and hand painted wooden bowls. We headed back to our hotel with full stomachs and delightful memories.












Hotel beach

On the beach














Evening was pretty much spent lazing around on the beach watching the waves crash on the shore, enjoying some drinks on the beach (non alcoholic since I am a teetotaler) You could see blue as far as your eyes could take you. The sand was sparkly white and as the sun made my skin warm, the soft sand kept me cool.

El-Castillo Chichèn Itza

Next day, we wanted to visit Chitchen Itza which is located in Yucatan, Mexico. We drove ourselves over there. It is about two and half hours drive from the Hotel Zone. There are a lot of bus tours that will pick you from your hotels and drive you to the Pyramids, and neighboring Cenotes. But it does not give you the freedom of spending as long or short time you want at any place. So I believe, driving is a better option. Chichen Itza is considered as one of the new wonders of the world. It is an archaeological ruins site built by the Maya people and is on UNESCO's world heritage list. Almost all blogs will tell you that!! However, there are some new regulations that you have to consider before you visit. Since recently you are not allowed to climb the famous steep steps of the El Castillo temple.


The crowds at Chichèn Itza


It is partly to protect the stone steps from human influx causing damage to the historical site. But most importantly, it was due to a fatal accident that occurred a few years ago resulting from a fall from the steps. For that matter, most of the sites are also inaccessible. So for me, it was actually quite disappointing to see it just from the outside. There are guides you can hire, but they charge an exorbitant amount. And for something that you won't even be actually experiencing; I was not willing to shell out any money.


I understand why they have stopped people from visiting the top, but I was looking forward to getting some good hike to the top and actually experiencing the view. Don't get me wrong, however, you could still visit it. It is marvelous architecture and it does blow your mind away to see how massive it is. It is 
intriguing to know, that there is a secret sacred Cenote (fresh water sinkholes that are abundant in Yucatan peninsula) right underneath where you are standing, on which this pyramid was built. But that's about it.




Street vendors at Chichèn Itza
On your way there again there a lot of vendors trying to sell you some more souvenirs that you may want to buy. T-shirts here are just about 20 pesos, so get some for you and your friends. The Cenote Sagrada is in the same area and you could visit it too. Again, its not open to the public and mostly the water has become very unclean and is not maintained properly.
(Tip: Be wary of tourists scams. Those are common as well.) Overall, I would rate the experience was good, but not mind-blowing. I guess the reality did not meet up to my expectations.



Cenote Ik-kil



Now let me tell you something about the Cenotes. As I mentioned earlier, they are fresh water sinkholes which are widespread in the Yucatan peninsula. They were considered sacred sites by the Mayan civilization and there are many stories associated with them. We decided to visit them after going to Chichen Itza. The cenote that's the closest to The Mayan pyramids goes by the name Ik-Kil. It has a depth of 150 feet and you have to carefully climb down a large number of stairs to reach the cenote. Once you are there, there are multiple ladders to enter the water and if you feel very courageous, you can even dive from a height. It is an experience that you should not miss. Good thing about it is, there are multiple ropes going across and also large float balls. 



Swimming in cenote Ik-Kil
So even if it can be a little scary to jump into a 150 feet deep sinkhole with no light, you can be safe. There are also places outside the cenote where you can rent life jackets. I was not particularly feeling very brave to get in there, but then I decided, heck I am going to do it at least once and that's it. Ended up jumping at least 5-6 times!!! The cold water sent shivers down my spine, but it was exhilarating at the same time. Do visit it for sure. (Tip: Take some change of clothes, towels etc as those are not provided anywhere. Please use biodegradable sunscreen and mosquito repellent). There are multiple cenotes everywhere you drive, so it's pretty much up to you where do you want to go. 


Cenote Samula
We also visited the cenote Xkeken and cenote Samula. They both are gorgeous. The water in cenote Samula is extremely clear and the sun shining through the hole in the top, gives the water a brilliant shade of blue. If you have seen the movie Coco, you will know what I mean. The cenotes are of varying depth. Most of the times, your feet can't touch the ground. Get fresh in these cenotes after a hot, tiring day at Chichen Itza. (Tip: You can snorkel here, but it needs to have a flashlight on it, as it can be quite dark underneath. )
Steps to cenote Xkeken



















Cenote Xkeken is much more darker since there are smaller openings in the rock to let the sunlight in and also there is a lot of calcium deposit creating stalactites and stalagmites. (Tip: Just a pointer, on our way between Ik Kil and Samula, we could not find any decent restaurants, except one. So you may want to carry some snacks with you).


Cenote Xkeken


Playa Del Carmen



Plan on staying one day in Playa Del Carmen, so you can visit the surrounding areas such as Akumal Bay and Tulum and Cozumel. If you have time, go to Tulum for sure. I have read about their gorgeous beaches, cliffs and marine life. We will be visiting Tulum soon!!! Akumal Bay and Tulum could be a separate trip all together.














Snorkeling at Akumal Bay
Akumal Bay is a boho beach town with cheery colorful villas. There is a road here that leads you to the Akumal bay beach where you will find some rare species of turtles such as the Loggerhead turtles and the green turtles. Once again be careful of some people trying to make some money off of you. They are not necessarily lying to you, but they are not telling you the entire truth. They may ask you to pay fees for entering the sea. That's right, there are designated areas that will need you to be with a guide. But the truth is, if you walk a small distance south along the beach, there is an entire area which is free to use for public. (Tip: You do NOT have to spend a dime for entering the water.) 

Turtle at Akumal Bay

Some more turtles
Take your gear and go snorkel. We spotted about 3-5 turtles swimming effortlessly in the water. Do not go too close to them or do not stand on the corals. It is a fragile ecosystem and we have already done enough damage, we don't need to do it anymore. Wear biodegradable sunscreen and mosquito repellent. I cannot stress it enough. 

I would also recommend you to visit the Yal-Ku Lagoon. It should be on your must-do list. It is about 1.5 km from Akumal bay, so you can visit both places in one day. Snorkel here to see some exquisite species of fishes. The water is clear, warm and is protected from the sea currents. We saw thousands of fish here. I even got carried away following an aquamarine blue fish called Blue Tang of 'Finding Dory' fame. However, Yal-Ku lagoon can be a little crowded. But there are multiple dive sites and so you can select a quiet area to enter the water and then gradually start exploring. You can easily spend a few hours over here or even an entire day. 

Playa Del Carmen

We stayed in Playa Del Carmen (PDC) for only one night. Playa Del Carmen is a very lively town, but also quite touristy. I thought it would be a laid back town, but there are malls with all the luxury brands and that's no fun. Who wants to go into a Burberry store in Mexico!!! There are a lot of roadside food shacks that you surely need to visit. And of course, you have to try their shrimp ceviche. You will not be disappointed. The succulent shrimp with freshly squeezed lime and habanero sauce is a delight for your senses. 
(Tip: Mercado 28 has better prices for local merchandize than PDC)


Hotel resort at PDC 
Sunset at PDC
























While in Cancun we also did some water sports. The temperature of the water is perfect. (Tip: It is also quite cheap compared to a lot of places back home.) I did the fly-boarding which was quite an electrifying experience. Took me a while to get a hang of how to do it, but it was fun. The 'Aquaworld' in Cancun has all water activities and sometimes, the hotels where you stay may offer some deals for the water activities. 

Flyboarding at Aquaworld




I wish we could stay longer than just a week in Mexico.I would definitely love to go back. I loved the culture, food, music, liveliness and most importantly, the people. Their gracious and welcoming hospitality made the trip much more memorable. If anyone asked me, what is the best thing about Mexico, I would, without any hesitation say the people and their generosity. It is the best thing about Mexico!!!

41 comments:

  1. Mexico! I absolutely love that place! Amazing! And nice article! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved Mexico a lot too. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I have been there and I absolutely recommend others to visit these places! Article describes them well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mexico, and though I didn't get to Cancun, I loved Playa del Carmen! Your photos are wonderful, and really remind me how much fun I had when I was there. Now I clearly need to return and explore more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cancun is a tourist town, but the beaches are stunning. Cancun and Mexico in general is so much fun, natural beauty, food....everything
      Go ahead and explore further.

      Delete
  4. We have cruised through Mexico many times, but not been to Cancun. Would love to take a swim in one of those cenotes!! This looks like such a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never cruised. How is the experience??
      If you are going to be there for a while, then you can visit the cenotes as they are a little in the interior, so might not be possible with cruise.

      Delete
  5. Ooooh I love this post - it reminds me of my trip to Mexico last year! I actually stayed in Playa Del Carmen rather than Cancun, but I did go to Tulum, Akumal, Chichen Itza and Ik Kil - loved the cliff diving! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playa Del Carmen is beautiful too. I loved AKumal. I still have to explore Tulum. How was it?

      Delete
  6. Chichen Itza was way more crowded when I went in early March! You must have been there at a good time! I'd love to go swimming with the turtles in Akumal, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went quite early in the morning. Toward 10 am it got really crowded, but we were already leaving by then. We also went off season. That could be the reason too it wasn't as crowded.

      Delete
  7. Cancun sounds magical! Great post & pictures. I hope to get there some day. I'd also love to see Brazil. And Peru. And Costa Rica. And the whole world honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I would love to see the whole world too. There is just so much to see and so less time. Cancun is beautiful with its blue waters. I hope you do go there someday. let me know if you do.
      P.S. Costa Rica sounds beautiful

      Delete
  8. Cancun has always been up there on my list and you gave me a lot of useful suggestions. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am glad I was able to help. Let me know if you do end up going and if you want any more suggestions

      Delete
  9. I fell in love with Mexico, it's a stunning place with so many things to see. Sian kaan simply surprised me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like there is so much to see and do in that area. As I have not been in Mexico yet it was interesting read. Cenotes are new thing to me so I gained some new knowledge as well. Thanks for sharing and happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about cenotes before I went to Mexico. I was a little skeptical, but once you dive in, they are exhilarating . Happy travel to you too.

      Delete
  11. The cenotes you visited are amazing! Nature can sure develop some beautiful experiences for all to enjoy. The pyramids too must be something to see in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the cenotes were the highlight of my trip. I absolutely loved it.

      Delete
  12. Cancun, wow I've always wanted to go there. I liked what you shared in the beginning about not doing the all inclusive - I've never considered doing that before what a good way to get to experience culture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I personally have a belief-- that the earth is a replica of the heaven. Some places like cenotes are just examples of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! I haven't been to Cancun in over 10 years; your post has inspired me to head back soon. Looks like a wonderful trip

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love Cancun! You've highlighted some spots that I haven't had a chance to visit, so will definitely have to check those out when I return!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a wonderful destination. The water is beautiful. The food looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a really insightful post. "I never get all inclusive packages for hotels. I think it does not let you experience the true culture, the people and especially the food in that place." - this is so true.. people with all inclusive just spend too much time eating and drinking in one spot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It seems like you had an amazing birthday trip. I am from Mexico but actually never knew about Cenote. Crazy huh? Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nature, history, snorkeling and turtles! I would go there in a heart beat!!!! In fact it's on our bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard so many great things about Mexico and the further south you get, the more beautiful it is. Your pictures have proved that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Funny fact about me.... I've traveled overseas to the eastern part of the world and have yet visited Mexico. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post and awesome pictures. It sounds relaxing and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to have a vacation at Mexico in the future. It is such a beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how fun...it looks like you had a blast. This is definitely a place worth visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I haven't been in Cancun but judging from your post and the photos, it looks like such a great place to visit. Adding this to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this guide! It's perfect for frugal people like myself. Those swimming holes look absolutely magical. I'm glad you had an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved the cenote photos! They were so beautiful!! Now I really want to go visit!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to visit Mexico and have heard good things about Cancun. Love how hot and fun it looks from your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Definitely one to bookmark! I love all the pics. They are so inviting, especially the Cenote Ik-kil and Cenote Xkeken

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved the places. Such beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Cancun and it’s Xenotes. Great job sharing the beautiful wonders of Mexico and travel.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Drop in your comments if you like my blog and also if you would like more information

Not just your regular cup of coffee- Coffee Culture in Italy

"I love coffee" is an understatement. I live coffee . Yes, I can have coffee any time of the day, anywhere, and of any possible ...