Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Not just your regular cup of coffee- Coffee Culture in Italy



"I love coffee" is an understatement. I live coffee. Yes, I can have coffee any time of the day, anywhere, and of any possible type. My favorite has been mocha for years, until I was introduced to Macchiato. So when I was off coffee for a week (trying to be caffeine free), I got beautiful dreams of the delicious aroma of coffee, swirling milk in the magical cups, drinking it to my heart's content. That's when I decided, I had to write about the Italian coffee culture. 






Delicious coffee in Positano-Amalfi coast



Coffee is big in United States. But I am not a Starbucks' fan at all. Well, except Starbucks Roastery in Seattle. That is not a regular Starbucks coffee shop. Their menu is different, keeps changing and is delicious. Usually I prefer local coffee shops to these chain cafes.

So, naturally being a coffee lover, I was extremely excited about Italy. Their coffee culture is quite different than US and they have some of the best coffees that you can and you should experience on your trip to Italy. There are numerous coffee shops all over the cities, railway stations, shopping centers etc. I have listed some of the major differences in their coffee culture below.

Coffee served only in coffee cups


- The barista culture is completely different in Italy. They are fast, efficient and totally no-nonsense. 

- Mostly you are going to have the coffee right there at the bar. 
There may not be chairs and tables set out. As soon as you reach the bar, the barista sets a saucer, spoon and sugar bowl in front of you. Once they take the order, within a matter of minutes, the cup is set right on your saucer. You pay for it, drink it, and get out of there. 

- Italians love coffee and they have it after every meal. 

Italian coffee is to be enjoyed right out of the little cup they serve it to you in. And if you want to be any closer to Italian culture, have the coffee right there and DO NOT ask for a to-go coffee. That is totally American. You will get a look from your barista...!!!
Only train stations may have to-go cups.


Train stations have coffee to-go



This is how the usual routine goes..

1. Early morning starts with a cappuccino or caffe latte or latte macchiato with a pastry or scone. Any milky drinks are to be savored in the early morning at the time of breakfast. 
If you like chocolate, go for caffe Marocchino-coffee lightly dusted with cocoa. 


Caffe Marocchino-coffee dusted with cocoa powder


2. No milky drinks after 11 am. Italians consider having milky coffee after 11 am to be bad for digestion. Milk is heavy on the stomach late in the day. 

3. Afternoon
Like I said earlier, Italians love coffee. Afternoon coffee is basically right after lunch. This coffee is usually a shot of espresso, had standing at the bar talking to colleagues, friends or the barista
Having milky coffee past noon is considered too heavy after meals.


A shot of espresso right after lunch is a must


4. If espresso is not your thing, caffe macchiato is a good alternative. It has just a splash of milk with espresso, so it is okay to have after lunch.

5. If you like your coffee a little boozy (with some % of alcohol), go for the caffe corretto, which means "corrected coffee".

6. Do not say, "I want a latte". Unless milk is what you actually want to have. Latte means milk and if you ask a barista for latte, you will get a glass of milk. 

7. If you go to Venice, do have coffee in the historic coffee shop "The Florian". Make your visit to Venice worthwhile, by at least going there once for a cup of coffee. I say once, because their coffees are expensive compared to what you get in other cafes. 
This coffee shop opened in the 1700s. How many times do we actually get to go to a restaurant that is from the 17th century. 


17th century cafe-The Florian



8. You get a great cup pretty much anywhere from gas station to free standing cafes. Be wary of touristy areas where there is a heavy flow of people. They may be selling mediocre coffee at an exorbitant price just for their location.

9. Your coffee will cost more if you drink it sitting down. 
If you are going to be sitting in the restaurant, you have to pay a coperto cover charge. 




So if you are Italy for your big trip, don't forget to enjoy that little precious cup of coffee. 

And oh, about being caffeine free for a week-nah!!! I am heading right now to my kitchen for a steaming cup of espresso!!!! La Dolce Vita !!!!

24 comments:

  1. Wow, I can really sense your love for coffee that you can live a day without smelling the enticing aroma of the coffee. I'm not really into coffee, but I drink one cup of it sometimes. I also love Macchiato that much. You must really had a great time in Italy since you get to try their coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a great time in Italy because of their coffee. Even in the simplest of cafes or even the gas stations, they had such delicious coffee, it's unbelievable. Do you like hot chocolate??? Their hot chocolate was deliciously thick, almost like ganache...

      Delete
  2. Hmmm... Reading your article makes me want a cup of coffee so bad although it's evening now and I'll suffer from insomnia at night. You're right. I don't like Starbucks' coffee, either. It includes much sugar than coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often go camping with an Italian friend and he makes the best coffee in the morning, even when we're in the middle of nowhere! And like you noted in your article, he doesn't want to hear about a latte if it's not in the morning - and macchiato is the limit! I love how cultural coffee can be. In France, we dip our toasts and croissants in the coffee in the morning :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have my first cup of coffee until I was 21 and had to stand guard duty and have loved it ever since! Question about the coffee shop atmosphere? When I go into a Starbucks or any other coffee shop, it's always filled with people using the wifi or reading books and such. Is the atmosphere the same or are they more into the coffee and conversation? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are more into the coffee...conversation yes..but not too much. In the evenings after work, may be they chit chat a little longer, but in the morning, they are on the go go go!!

      Delete
  5. I love love coffee. These are some great info! Thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! I'm weird and don't like coffee. But I do love the smell of it! I tend to get tea or hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post had my mouth watering for a coffee. I am off to the kitchen to make one now.

    Great post by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many fun facts! I am not a coffee drinker, but I just might be convinced now. Caffeine free?! HA! Is there such a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahaha I'm Italian! loved reading this post :D x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to start off by saying that I'm not a coffee drinker, but in Australia coffee is almost a religion so when Aussies move to the US they can sometimes be disappointed by the US's take on coffee. We lean towards Italian coffee culture so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you love coffee as much as I love tea! I absolutely love the smell of coffee but I cannot drink it unfortunately. This article is so good I could almost smell the coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow they seem pretty intense about their coffee over there! My husband was born there and still has family over there, when our kids get a little older we are going to visit them. Not sure I'm looking forward to no lattes after noon though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. To be honest , I'm a coffee drinker and i love coffee than consuming tea because of it aroma and the taste. I like Italian blend and i got this opportunity to taste it when i was in Singapore. It was so unforgettable and the taste is still in my tongue. You should try Indian coffee too. We have rich style in making especially in Tamilnadu and thanks for bringing this blend up. | regards from Quora Gaffer

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to go to Venice. I have had coffee in Italy, it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My family comes from Italy and I have lived in Turin for a year so i completely understand! coffee culture is so strong there! and their coffee is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have always wanted to go to Italy and experience their coffee culture. A paradise for all coffee lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its nice to know about all the variety of coffee in Italy. I can see you love your coffee too much. I am not that big on coffee. If I have it, I make sure I have it in the morning only. If I have it after 5 pm, it makes me so alert that I cant sleep at night!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love coffee and this post is so fun! It's totally on my bucket list to drink coffee in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had no idea, so thank you for sharing all this information about drinking coffee in Italy. They're definitely serious about their coffee and I appreciate learning more about their practices.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Drop in your comments if you like my blog and also if you would like more information

Not just your regular cup of coffee- Coffee Culture in Italy

"I love coffee" is an understatement. I live coffee . Yes, I can have coffee any time of the day, anywhere, and of any possible ...